Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Dreadful Thursdays

Great story from Mark Walker at the NC Times about a Marine who threw himself on a grenade to save his buddies losing out on a Medal of Honor. Those who are upset can read this and get further upset.

As for Nelsy Rodriguez, was it worth covering this park plans meeting. It was the last meeting in a number of meetings that she already covered. How many times will I read a story about someone saying, “I want a BMX park”, or, “More soccer fields”. What happened to hard hitting in-depth journalism or taking a more critical look at things. There is a better way to cover this master park’s plan. This is not It.

I have read these Aaron Claverie story and I just can’t grasp the importance. Something about a Redevelopment Agency asking for money from the City Council and the council agreeing in principal. I guess if you like conspiracies and these type of stories than you must be interested. I am not.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/09/17/news/californian/wildomar/zfcf3a393216c9764882574c8000f8194.txt

Finally, something did make me smile beside’s Mr. Walker’s story out of the Times. Nicole Sack came back with some of her old-fashioned gems. I could care less about a Temecula commission meeting but this lede grabbed me.

At times, Wednesday evening's Planning Commission meeting had the tone of a murder trial.
The tension, the passion, the graphics, the scenarios ---- the underlying current of life versus possible death ---- arose during the nearly four-hour long meeting.
And in the end there was at least one angry man.

Who cares if I didn’t get the point until later. I was hooked. Kudos to you Ms. Sack for entertaining me.

The PE must be smarting. They got scooped by the Times and are running their own follow up on the MetroLink engineer. The guy lived in Menifee and Crestline at one time. This is the type of the story the PE was great at. Nothing got by this paper and the reporters and you could bet if the Times had it the PE had it. When downsizing hits, papers lose what made it special. Here is the PE’s story but it’s a day late and a dollar

short.

Paul LaRocco was made for Cops Reporting. Here is the perfect lede to get me to read a story I normally would pass up:

The image of a menacing-looking man driving a dirty Ford Bronco toward a remote Yucaipa wash stuck with the witness.

It was February 2000, days before the bodies of a Los Angeles accountant and his wife were found buried in the same wash.

Nearly a decade later, the description is the first notable lead in a case that had turned cold.

The rest of the story is just as magical.

Aaron Burgin continues to write about the mundane aspects of Lake Elsinore. At least he tried to expand on an economy lecture by John Husing but city officials nor developers wanted to talk to Mr. Burgin.

Jeff Horseman gets my reporter tip for the day. Here is his lede on the Temecula Film Festival.

The next Steven Spielberg or Martin Scorsese might be in Temecula the next few days.

I doubt that. But it could happen. I could write: The next Willie Mays or Babe Ruth might be playing in Little League the next few days. Or. Aliens with thirteen eyes might be in Temecula the next few days. They might be. But I really doubt it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

where'd you go?